CONNECT WITH EMPLOYERS
VIRTUAL CAREER EXCHANGES
Virtual Career Exchanges are engagement events that encourage networking between students, alumni, and recruiting professionals that will open the door to co-op, intern, and full-time opportunities.
These events will all be virtual! Register to attend the fair on Handshake, and then sign up for 1:1 and group sessions with the employers you'd like to meet with. On the day of the fair, simply log into Handshake, navigate to the fair page, and click on the My Sessions tab to start your meetings. Make sure you are using Google Chrome. Check out Handshakes guide to learn about finding companies, signing up and system requirements.
Mechanical Engineering Exchange
Sept. 20th | 3-6pm | REGISTER
Civil + Environmental Engineering Exchange
Sept. 22nd | 3-6pm | REGISTER
Electrical + Computer Engineers Exchange
Sept. 27th | 3-6pm | REGISTER
Computing + Computational Data Sciences Exchange
Sept. 29th | 3-6pm | REGISTER
Applied Engineering Sciences Exchange
Oct. 4 | 3-6pm | REGISTER
Chemical + Material Sciences + Biosystems Engineering Exchange
Oct. 6 | 3-6pm | REGISTER
FALL CAREER EVENT LINEUP
Get Connected, Spartan Engineers! We recommend two primary platforms for connecting with employers, Handshake and LinkedIn. Just like you need to know the fundamental theorems of calculus, you need to know how to optimize these critical networking and job search systems. This is the spot to learn how to get the most out of Handshake and LinkedIn.
Our online recruiting system, Handshake, connects employers with MSU students. Students can research companies, apply for jobs, register for events and send peers questions.
Use the Handshake Guide to get started in the system!
Plus check out our 5 tips for making the most of Handshake!
1. Upload your updated resume This will help you complete your profile + you'll need it to start applying to jobs!
3. Update your privacy preferences to make sure employers can message you and make sure your resume is public.
4. Follow employers and jobs your are interested in. This way you'll get notified of new jobs, application deadlines and event registrations for your top employers.
5. Create Saved Searches to have new jobs emailed to you weekly!
LinkedIn is a great platform to uncover potential Spartan friendly opportunities, to search for jobs, and make connections with people who work in jobs and at companies of interest.
Check out our tips for optimizing LinkedIn.
1. Build your LinkedIn profile. A complete profile makes it easier for recruiters to find you.
2. Build your Job Search Alerts and Job Preferences to receive relevant job postings via email and make it easier for recruiters to find you.
Instructions for creating your Job Search Alerts and Preferences
3. Network like a champion! Read Chapter 8 in WHO Logic to learn how to build a networking and communication plan. You can do this!
OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES
FRAUDULENT JOB POSTINGS
If you have concerns about the legitimacy of a job or internship posting, please contact email@example.com. No legitimate employer will send payment in advance and ask the employee to send a portion of it back. DO NOT provide any personal information especially social security numbers or financial information! Find more tips on avoiding scams here.